I’ve been very quiet on my updates recently so here a new blog on what I’ve been up to and what’s on the cards in the next few months.
Over the summer there were 2 mini print exchange exhibitions that I have entered prints into. The exhibitions have been up and running, one at ARTspace in Ontario Canada, and another at the Greendoor printmakers in Derby England. Judging by the photo albums I have seen on facebook (artspace1 artspace2 green door1) they have been a success and I hope to get down to the one in Derby before it closes. Even more excitingly I have received my print box sets back for both. I was really pleased to receive a selection of different types of prints which have been printed in a variety of methods and styles.
The mini prints that I did were always intended to be the foundation for a larger print. I have completed two variations each in an edition of 10. I completed these over the September/October period and after playing around with some colours and a few of the layers I settled on 2 colour schemes that I liked. I added a few extra layers to the sky to build up the ‘noise’ and to knock back some of the brighter colours. I had also adjusted some of the tonal layers to be more pixelated and grainy.
It is possible that I will revisit the Lovell image at a later date and do some even larger versions in a small series of colour variations but for now I feel like I’ve worked enough on it. I have since completing these screen-prints been working on an old painting which is coming along nicely. The painting is in the ‘line’ style of two previous paintings which I have completed and will hopefully complete the trilogy. I have refined the masking tape method over time and I reckon this painting will only take me an 100hours or so of work 🙂 it is a labour of love, it’s satisfying getting very crisp lines and seeing all of the colours work together in harmony.
Another image I have been working on in my quiet times is another screen-print of a morning sunrise over Runcorn bridge. For now this project is called ‘the bridge’ and layer design is going to make it a very bold and moody piece, I haven’t yet proofed the layers but it’s going to be a lot simpler than a lot of the other screen-prints that i have done, and is going to involve building up the colours with halftones layers, I will keep you posted with some images when I have them!